Liposuction is the most common plastic surgery for both men and women in the United States. However, it is commonly misunderstood. Many people believe liposuction is a way to quickly reduce body weight or treat obesity. Instead, liposuction aims to reshape certain areas of the body that typically do not respond well to diet and/or exercise. Some of these “problem areas” are typically thighs, buttock, arms, abdomen, and breasts.
So, what is liposuction? It’s a surgical procedure that removes fat in certain areas of your body using suction. This procedure uses cannulas, which are small and thin tubes with blunted tips. The surgeon will insert the cannulas through small incisions in the patient’s skin, and then fat is suctioned through the tubes as they target certain fat deposits under the skin. Lipo can be done using the traditional methods, or it can be assisted by ultrasound or laser, which both help to liquefy the fat before it is suctioned out. While this procedure should not be viewed as a weight loss tool, it can do a lot of good for those considering reshaping their figure.
The Benefits of Liposuction:
1. It can enhance the shape and contour of your body as the procedure reduces fatty areas that are typically known as problem areas.
2. It may help to, or completely remove, lipomas, which are benign fatty tumors in certain areas of the body.
3. It can help men that suffer from gynecomastia (when men develop excessive amounts of fatty breast tissue) by removing the fatty breast tissue.
4. It can help treat lipodystrophy syndrome, which is when there is a fat metabolism disturbance in which there is excessive fat in some areas of the body, but none in others.
5. The effects of lipo can be very long-lasting so long as the patient’s weight does not greatly increase any time after the procedure.
6. Liposuction can improve your overall health due to the weight that is shed during the procedure. Typically, patients lose a total of 10 pounds or less.
7. It can help treat excessive sweating in the armpit areas, as well as chafing in other areas, such as the thighs.
8. The results are for the most part immediate, so you can enhance your appearance in as little as a day. Besides swelling, which may take a few weeks to subside, the enhancements are immediate.
9. It often influences a patient to develop/maintain better habits, such as exercise and good dieting, as the results of liposuction must be maintained.
10. It can improve a person’s well-being by improving severe imbalances and abnormalities in the body’s appearance. While it is not a substitute for a healthy living style, it can make you feel good.
Not only can liposuction enhance your appearance, but it can also improve various aspects of your life such as overall wellbeing, chaffing, sweating, resolve lipodystrophy syndrome, and more. However, as always, you must consult a doctor to make sure liposuction is right for you. If you’re considering liposuction, speak with our board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your potential candidacy for this procedure. At HZ Plastic Surgery, you're always our number one priority.